On August 22–30, 2015, the Novyi Lviv International Architecture Summer School, organized by the Center for Urban History of East Central Europe (Lviv, Ukraine) and the MARCH Architecture School (Moscow, Russia) as part of the project “Modernism. Future Continuous” together with the NGO Urban Forms Center, was held in Lviv.
The participants of the school studied the district New Lviv, in particular the 1920-1930s modernist buildings and residential development of the second half of the twentieth century.
Within four laboratories – “Space,” “Sociology,” “Heritage,” and “Interventions” – school participants looked at the history of the development of Novyi Lviv, analyzed its spatial and social structure, and searched for opportunities to implement simple and fast projects that can provide visible results in the short term. The result of the school’s activity was The project for the restoration and sustainable development of Novyi Lviv.
The teachers of the school were experts in the fields of urban planning and research: Kees van Rayven (“Kees van Ruyven Stadsontwikkeling”, Amsterdam), Kateryna Honcharova (“UkrNDIproektrestavratsiya”, Kyiv), Iryna Sklokina (Center for Urban History of East Central Europe, Lviv), Dmytro Kokorin (King’s College London, Russia Institute, London), Natalia Otrischenko (Center for Urban History of East Central Europe, Lviv; Institute of Sociology of NAS of Ukraine, Kyiv), Toralf Weise (Eberhard-Schöck-Stiftung, Baden-Baden; Construction Industry Support Fund, Kyiv), Nadia Nilina (Moscow School of Architecture (MARCH)), Yaroslav Kovalchuk (Moscow School of Architecture (MARCH); Head of workshop in NDiPI General Plan of Moscow, Moscow), Annette Mattieson (“Gemeente Barendrecht”, Rotterdam), Mary Sievers (Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture; Construction Industry Support Fund, Kyiv). Experts of the School: Yuliya Bohdanova (researcher of Modernist Architecture, National University “Lvivska Politekhnika”), Yulian Chaplinskyy (Chief architect of Lviv, cofounder at “CHAPLINSKYY & Architects” company).
Organizers: Center for Urban History, MARCH Architectural School with financial support from Eberhard-Schöck-Stiftung Foundation (Baden Baden), Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Kiev and German Society for International Cooperation GIZ. With assistance from Lviv Business School of Ukrainian Catholic University.